Sunday, March 27, 2011

time, or lack of it

Harriet has just given up her day sleep. That's when I wrote. So I will give up TV. And reading. And quite possibly cooking as well. And I will write at night. But I won't give up reading until I've finished the Ethel Turner shortlist. I just finished Big River, Little Fish. Beautiful writing and a slippery, satisfying twist. There are so many books that promise a pay-off that doesn't come. Far rarer are books that seem to be headed for a sweet, quiet ending, then give you bucketloads of unexpected magic, and pull it off.

2 comments:

  1. I found my days became less stressful when G_____ gave up her day sleep. For one thing, I no longer had to face the daily anxiety of whether she would sleep or not, the struggle to actually put her down. It also means you can do more stuff together during the day, plan bigger trips, etc.

    I was finding I had to get up early in the morning to fit in any writing. But it's been a while since I've been in that routine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are giving up TV because it means that soon I will read more of your beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete